By Wendy van Wyk, Registered Biokineticist
Standing while working has become a popular work approach. Many offices are adopting the use of ergonomic standing desks for their employees to adopt a healthy lifestyle, encouraging them to move as they work. They have equally become a popular home office fixture, now that working from home has become the new norm for many.
Equipping the standing workstations with complementary accessories further enhances a comfortable, safe, and active work environment. Anti-fatigue mats for standing desks allow users to stand for longer with fewer aches and pains.
As the name suggests, the purpose of anti-fatigue mats is to reduce fatigue on the legs and body, which can occur when standing for a long time on a hard surface. They are placed directly underneath your desk and should be readily available to move into position when you move from seated to standing.
Anti-fatigue mats come in many different versions but have the same benefits, here are some of the benefits that standing on an anti-fatigue mat can offer.
- Reduce Stress on the body. Rather than standing on a hard, solid surface like tile or concrete, if a worker stands on a standing mat, extra flexibility is added, much of the stress is relieved, resulting in a less exhausting working environment.
- Promote Better Blood Circulation. Anti-fatigue mats reduce stress on a person’s joints and muscles which makes the blood flow more evenly and regularly throughout the feet and legs.
- Prevents Joint Stiffness. Stiffness can be avoided as anti-fatigue mats allow you to make minor changes to your standing position.
- Reduced Lower Back Pain. Anti-fatigue mats can also alleviate pressure on the spine and alleviate the strain on the muscles, thus reducing lower back pain.
- Reduced Foot Pressure. Anti-fatigue mats prevent foot and leg pain by softening the floor surface, making it ergonomic.
- Increased Productivity. Removing pain and discomfort from the workplace makes good business sense since employees will perform more productively and with greater accuracy.
Our Ergonomicsdirect team can assist in doing an ergonomic assessment of your workstation, and can then advise which solutions and products will meet your specific requirements to reduce/prevent fatigue.
We stock a selection of standing mat options, which you can find on our online store. To view/shop our range of anti-fatigue standing mats, click here.
Till next time, please stay safe out there.
Yours in Ergonomics